Sunday, January 10, 2010

First Impressions

So! We arrived safely and have been incredibly busy ever since! But I'll give you the overview of the last week+...
Traveling was rough! 2 red eye flights in a row I definitely don't recommend... BsAs is only 5 hours ahead but we spent the first 5-6 days trying to catch up. It didn't help that our hostel was disgustingly hot! It's been about 80 but the humidity was overbearing! But we got out to Salsa- Wade is convinced he has to come back being able to do all those smooth moves. We also made it to 'La Casa Rosada'- some say it was originally painted in cow's blood to give it it's pink color! It is where the President works (although how she gets any work done there w/ all those tours going in and out is beyond me). This is also where Evita gave her famous speech to her 'decamisados.'
The TEFL course has definitely consumed most of our time- which is good, I suppose. It seems really thorough and I hope I'll feel ready for a language class by the end of it! There are 16 of us, most from the States doing this program. I did manage to find a home via craigslist- It's in the high-end Recoleta barrio and about a 25 min walk from my school. It's USD$400 a month and includes everything! Including maid service twice a week, 24hr security, and my own bathroom... I'm on the 6th floor and my balcony is right across from Wade's balcony! We'll see about making some cup and string phones soon :)
My roommate,Diana, is Argentine and beautiful! It's her parents' city home- they live in the country and come down 1-2 times a month and there's one more room she's looking to rent out. So far I've pretty much had the place to myself! well except for Shiva, her very talkative Siamese cat. He's VERY cuddly and is currently on my lap shoving his nose into my arm for attention.
Yesterday we went to Tigre, the Delta region North of BsAs and it was very charming...after lunch with some of the other TEFL kids, we took a nice boat ride- the water is about the same color as Thailand's canals but they don't smell as bad- it's just from the silt. I can't wait to go swimming! have I mentioned how hot it is?
And today we went down to the San Telmo Market and watched a free Tango show at the restaurant... I have some videos that I'll post on facebook if you're interested!
Well, I have to get back to homework, but before I do, here are some other random remarks:
Their tomatoes taste funny
Argentines are lovely! They look like Mexicans but taller (and less tacky)
I wish I knew more Spanish
Dog poo is everywhere! As are holes in the sidewalk to fall into
I see about 45 pregnant women everyday.
Nothing comes with condiments
we saw a woman nursing her baby while crossing a busy road. how's that for multitasking?
everything seems so cheap! Just wait till I'm earning pesos tho :/

well, I love you all and thank you for reading! xoxo Jilly

3 comments:

  1. Yay! Finally an update! I am sure Wade will be able to outdance you soon :) We need to schedule a time to Skype you! Love you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! So are you being forced to learn Spanish pretty quickly or is there a lot of English being spoken there? Oh and how is the SUMMER?! Its gloomy in SD, so I am very jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well I'm going through the English courses so I'm surrounded by English right now... but no, most everything is in Spanish! and you should definitely come visit for nice weather!

    ReplyDelete